These quick pickled red onions are so ridiculously easy to make and so ridiculously yummy. Throw them on top of a salad, a (veggie) burger, or if you’re like me, eat them straight out of the jar!
- 1 red onion (or 1/2 onion if it’s jumbo)
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 – 2 Tbsp sugar (optional)
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup boiling water
- Glass canning jars
- Thinly slice the red onion (or use a mandolin).
- Pack the red onion slices into two small canning jars very tightly.
- In a separate container, combine the vinegar, sugar, salt, and boiling water. Stir until sugar and salt are dissolved. Feel free to experiment by adding other fresh herbs of your choice.
- Pour the liquid over the onions almost to the top. Tap the jars against the counter a few times to remove any air bubbles. Add more liquid to the top of the jar.
- Screw on the lids of the jars tightly and let the jars cool to room temperature.
- Place in refrigerator and leave for 48 hours.
Note: These are not canned, so they may only be stored in the refrigerator for up to 2 months.