This recipe was inspired by a luscious peanut curry I learned from my niece. Thank you, Ella!
- 1 cup brown rice
- 1 package extra firm tofu
- 2 Tbsp coconut oil
- 1 small white onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh ginger (about a 1-inch nub of ginger, peeled and chopped)
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- Pinch of salt
- 1 small head of broccoli
- 3 medium carrots, peeled and sliced on the diagonal
- 1 red bell pepper and 1 yellow or orange bell pepper, sliced into 2 inch strips
- 2 tablespoons Thai red curry paste
- 1 can (14 ounces) coconut milk (use full-fat coconut milk for a richer curry)
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 1/2 tsp agave nectar
- 2 Tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1 Tbsp gluten free soy sauce (tamari)
- Make rice according to instructions.
- Drain tofu well and cut into bite sized pieces. Toss lightly with salt and oil (olive, sesame, or grapeseed oil all work well). Then bake in your air fryer or oven until crispy.
- Warm the oil in a deep skillet and add the onion. After a few minutes, add the ginger and garlic. Cook for about 5 minutes, stirring often.
- Add the broccoli, carrots, and bell peppers and cook for 3 more minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the curry paste and cook, stirring often, for 2 minutes.
- Pour the coconut milk into the pan, along with the water and agave nectar. Bring the mixture to a simmer. Reduce heat as necessary to maintain a gentle simmer and cook until the vegetables are tender, about 5 minutes.
- Once the vegetables are done cooking, stir in the crispy tofu, lime juice, and soy sauce. Add salt to taste.
- Serve over rice and enjoy!
Adapted from: Cookie & Kate and the brilliant brain of my niece, Ella.