I like to throw this together in the morning, then stick it in the fridge until I’m ready to bake it in the evening. It works perfectly!
For the vegan ricotta:
- 2 cups raw cashews, soaked
- juice of 2 lemons (1/3 cup)
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1/4 cup water
For the bread crumbs:
- 3 Tbsp vegan butter, melted
- 3/4 cup vegan bread crumbs
- 3/4 cup pine nuts
For the lasagna:
- 1 small butternut squash
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 Tbsp oregano
- 1 Tbsp basil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 bunch kale (or spinach), stems removed and chopped into bite-size pieces
- 28 ounces marinara sauce
- 1 box lasagna noodles
- 1/2 cup fresh basil, chopped (for garnish)
(1) Preheat the oven to 375°F and bake the whole butternut squash for about 45 – 50 minutes (don’t for get to pierce the squash before baking). Take it out of the oven, chop off the ends, peel it, and scoop out the seeds. Cut the squash into 1 inch cubes.
(2) Boil lasagna sheets until just barely al dente (about 5 – 6 minutes). Add a bit of olive oil to the pot to avoid sticking. Rinse sheets in cold water and spread out individually on wax paper to, again, avoid sticking.
(3) Prepare the ricotta by combining the cashews, lemon juice, garlic, nutritional yeast, and 1/4 cup water in a high speed blender. Blend until smooth.
(4) In a skillet over medium heat, warm the olive oil then add the onion and cook for about 4 minutes, until translucent. Add the salt, pepper and spices and cook for one minute. Then add the kale, cover with a lid and continue to cook until wilted, stirring intermittently.
(5) Make the bread crumb mixture by mixing all the ingredients together well.
(6) Assemble the lasagna: Spread 1/2 cup of the marinara along the bottom of your lasagna dish. Then line the dish with slightly overlapping lasagna noodles. Spread 1/2 cup of the ricotta over the noodles. Spread half of the kale mixture. Then arrange half of the squash cubes on top of the ricotta.
(8) Finally, add a final layer of noodles and marinara sauce. Top with the bread crumb mixture.
(9) At this point, you can cover the dish with tin foil and stick it in the refrigerator until you’re ready to bake it, or bake immediately. Preheat oven to 400°F to bake.
(10) Bake uncovered at 400°F for approximately 20 – 25 minutes (30 minutes if baking from refrigeration).
(11) Remove from oven and allow to cool for 5 – 10 minutes. Sprinkle fresh basil across the top and serve.
3 thoughts on “Butternut Squash Lasagna”
This may be our family’s favorite vegan recipe of all time. Amazing!
LikeLiked by 1 person
So glad you like it! 🙂
This recipe is so good, that it made it into our “good enough for company” file. It’s delicious!