Yummy chili for a chili evening!
- 2 Tbs olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 cup carrots, chopped
- 1 small jalapeño pepper
- 1 Tbs ground chili pepper
- 1 Tbs cumin
- 1 can (28 oz.) diced tomatoes, with juice
- 1 cup tomato juice
- 1 can (16 oz.) kidney beans, drained (or 1/2 cup dried beans, cooked)
- 1 can (16 oz.) black beans, drained (or 1/2 cup dried beans, cooked)
- 1 can (16 oz.) cannellini beans, drained (or 1/2 cup dried beans, cooked)
- salt, to taste
- Heat olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add the onions, garlic, peppers, carrots, and jalapeño, and cook until golden, about 12 minutes.
- Add the cumin and chili pepper, and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, tomato juice, beans, and salt.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer over low heat. Allow to simmer for about 45 minutes until all the flavors are combined.
- Optional: Serve with vegan sour creme and fresh cilantro.
Adapted from: The Joy of Cooking, by Irma Rombauer, Marion Rombauer Becker, and Ethan Becker, 1997, p. 283.