This is a really hearty and delicious family meal. I didn’t list measurements for the spices because it really depends on how spicy your tastes run.
- 1 cup brown rice
- 1 cup dried black beans
- 2 large sweet potatoes
- 1 – 2 avocados, sliced
- 1 – 2 fresh tomatoes, chopped
- 1 – 2 cups kale, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- chilli pepper
- cayenne pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400 F.
- Get the black beans cooking (I cook them in the Instant Pot for 50 minutes, but you could cook them on the stovetop or you could even use canned black beans and simply warm them up 10 minutes before serving). I like to add some cumin, chili powder, and salt to the beans while cooking.
- Peel and chop the sweet potatoes into 1 inch chunks.
- In a large bowl, toss the sweet potatoes with olive oil (or coconut oil), salt, and paprika.
- Spread the sweet potatoes on two lined baking sheets. Bake for about 40 minutes, turning midway, until they are tender and caramelized at the edges.
- In a saute pan, sauté the onion, along with a generous amount of cumin, chili powder, and salt. Use some cayenne pepper if you want a little more kick. Once the onions are soft, add the kale and continue to sauté until done. (Tip: I usually make a little kale with no onions or spice separately for the kids, then make another onion and kale mixture super spicy for the adults!)
- Chop and slice your toppings.
- Once everything is ready to go, assemble your burrito bowls: Rice, black beans, onions and kale, sweet potatoes, avocados, and tomatoes. Voila!
Adapted from: Cookie and Kate