This is a nice, basic lentil recipe for when you need them as a base or a side for the main dish.
- 1 carrot, diced
- 2 small shallots, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tsp Thyme
- Salt and pepper
- 1 1/4 cups lentils
- 1/3 cup dry white wine (optional)
- 3 1/2 cups vegetable stock or water
- Over medium-low heat, sauté the carrots, shallot, and garlic in a little olive oil. Season them with the thyme, salt, and pepper, and cook for 5 minutes, until they are just sweating and soft and fragrant.
- Add in the lentils, and season again with salt and pepper.
- Increase the heat to high, and pour in the white wine. Stir, and cook until the wine is absorbed. (optional)
- Add the vegetable stock or water. Cover, and bring to a boil. Once the water boils, reduce the heat to low, keep covered, and cook for around 25 minutes.
Adapted from: Serious Eats