It took me a long time to come up with a vegan flaxseed muffin recipe that my kids would love, but that wasn’t loaded with cups of sugar. Here it is! And here’s how I justify serving my kids these muffins for breakfast sometimes: the flaxseed is loaded with Omega-3’s, pumpkin is great source of Vitamin A, and the blackstrap molasses is a powerhouse of iron. Yummy and healthy! Tip: to increase your body’s iron uptake, serve these muffins with a few orange slices (vitamin C) on the side.
- 3/4 cup gluten-free baking flour
- 3/4 cup ground flaxseed (grind your own immediately before baking to ensure freshness)
- 1 Tbs cinnamon
- 1 Tbs unsweetened cacao powder
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup pure pumpkin puree
- 1/4 cup almond milk
- 1/3 cup blackstrap molasses
- 2 flaxseed eggs (recipe here)
- 1/4 cup (gluten free, dairy free) chocolate chips
- optional: orange slices on the side
- Preheat the oven to 350 F and line a muffin pan with liners.
- Combine all dry ingredients in a large bowl.
- Combine all wet ingredients in a medium bowl.
- Fold wet ingredients into dry ingredients.
- Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Sprinkle a few chocolate chips on top of each muffin.
- Fill the muffin pan and bake for about 20-25 minutes.
- Serve with orange slices on the side.
Still trying to get the texture right (too gooey), but the taste is heavenly! Can anyone help?