This curry uses canned chickpeas as the protein – super yummy!
- 2 Tbsp coconut oil
- 1 Tbsp cumin seeds
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 tsp fine sea salt
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 tsp grated fresh ginger (or 1/4 tsp powdered ginger)
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1/4 tsp pepper flakes
- 1/2 medium sweet potato, peeled and diced into 1/4 inch pieces
- 1 (14-ounce) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 (14-ounce) can diced tomatoes, with juices
- 1 (14 ounce) can coconut milk
- 1 (142 g) package baby spinach
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Brown rice for serving
- Optional: garnish with unsweetened shredded coconut
- Optional: serve with lime wedges to squeeze over the curry
- In a large saucepan, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the cumin seeds and toast for about a minute, until fragrant and lightly darkened in color (be careful not to burn them). Immediately stir in the onion, season with a pinch of salt, and cook for 3 to 5 minutes, or until the onion is soft and translucent.
- Add the garlic, ginger, turmeric, coriander, and red pepper flakes. Stir to combine and sauté for a couple of minutes, until the garlic softens.
- Add the potato, chickpeas, tomatoes, and coconut milk. Stir to combine, cover, and simmer over medium heat for 20 to 30 minutes, until the potatoes are fork-tender.
- Stir in the spinach and cook very briefly until just wilted. Season with the salt and black pepper to taste.
- Serve on a bed of rice or quinoa. Optional: garnish with shredded coconut and lime wedges.
Adapted from: The Vegan 8