These muffins are low sugar and packed with veggies. But here’s the thing: my kids just LOVE them!
- 3/4 cup dried apricots (or pitted dates)
- 3/4 cup shredded yellow squash (or zucchini)
- 1/2 cup shredded carrots
- vegan equivalent of 3 eggs (use your favorite recipe or try one of these!)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 cups blanched almond flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- Preheat the oven to 350 F. Line a muffin tin with baking cups.
- If using dates, place the dates in a bowl of warm water for 10 minutes to soften. (Apricots don’t need softening.)
- Shred the yellow squash/zucchini and carrots in a food processor, then spread them on a paper towel to drain some of the moisture while you prepare the batter.
- Place the apricots/dates, egg substitute, and applesauce in a food processor and process for 30 seconds, until smooth.
- Add the almond flour, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt and process for 15 seconds more.
- Wrap the paper towel around the vegetables and give them a light squeeze to remove excess moisture and fold them gently into the batter.
- Fill each muffin cup about 2/3 of the way full. Bake for 30 minutes.
Adapted from: Against All Grains, by Danielle Walker (2013, p. 194).